2008-02-14

Anti-Valentine's Day!

It's that time of the year again, where guys and girls alike are excited for no apparent reason. Yup, it's the 14th of February, where Valentine's Day is celebrated.

It's that day which lovers express their love for each other by sending Valentine's cards, presenting flowers, or offering confectionery. It's been made a holiday in North America, named after two among the numerous Early Christian martyrs named Valentine. The day became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer in High Middle Ages, when the tradition of courtly love flourished. (cited from Wikipedia)

Guys will get their spouses gifts, go out for a romantic dinner, and the after-events, I leave that completely to your imagination.


Try dressing like this to celebrate, creativity is always rewarded

Personally, I think that Valentine's day is not worth celebrating, I mean come on, in a year you gotta celebrate your girl's/guy's birthday, your anniversary and god-knows-what special occasion, and now you need to fork out a small fortune to celebrate something meaningless? Especially when prices are hiked up to take advantage of your wallets.

You don't need to shower gifts on your beloved one just for this one day; besides, it defeats the purpose where both of you act lovey-dovey on this day and resume the bland relationship the day after.

It's just that I find that this celebration is futile, where restaurants will be extra packed, and some will amp up their prices because of the celebration. Some of you may say, "Hey, I can prepare a home-cooked dinner for two", but how many of you really do that? (Well, at least I did last year, I had to rush back home during lunch to prepare the stuff). The chore of braving traffic jams, crowds at restaurants, early bookings of restaurants, flowers isn't a delightful ordeal.

Saint Valentine’s Day has become commercialized and lost its significance of lovers expressing love for each other. Instead, it has become a sales gimmick for gift/flower shops and restaurants, and the sole reason for the road to my apartment to become jam-packed when I clock-out today.

No, I'm not a Valentine-hater or anything; it's not that I couldn't get a date this year and that's why I'm venting out my frustration here. Nah, I'm already attached. I'm just here to make my point. Some of you may diss them, with better points which may be true, heck I'm a liberal man. Everyboy's entitled to their own opinion.

With that said, I wish those who're celebrating Happy Valentine's Day/Happy Single Awareness Day!


0 comments:

Post a Comment